Above is a video tutorial that I put together for the creation of basic barriers through movement and gesture. I wanted to create a text version of this as well, for those who can’t see or hear the video above.
The creation of a barrier using gestures is very simple. In order to give this a try, you’ll need the following:
- A small space at the center of the area you’re creating the barrier for that you can move around in
- Incense (optional)
Here is the basic walk through of how you create the barrier:
- Go to the center of your space with your lit incense.
- Calm your mind, still your energy (aka stand there for a few seconds and acclimate to the space).
- Pick your starting point for your barrier (I use the front door)
- You will pool the energy in your hands. I do this through a series of circular and waving hand movements.
- Once you have the energy gathered, you will point your hand out towards where you want your barrier to start. The pointing direction essentially directs the energy to the base of your barrier.
- In a swift movement, once you’ve pointed out where you’d like the energy to start, lift your arm up to direct the energy upwards. This is to create a pillar or ribbon of energy for you to pull from.
- Take your hands and “roll the energy out”, as though you were rolling dough. I do this with long broad strokes in a circular shape around my person.
- Once you hit the 180 degree mark for your first “energy pillar”, you will create another one. (this happens to coincide with my back door)
- Take the energy that you’ve “rolled out” in btwn these two pillars, and lift the energy over your head. I do this with a motion of bringing my hands over my head.
- Move to the second “energy pillar” you’ve created and continue to roll the energy out to where you started. You will then bring this energy up over your head in the same fashion as before.
- At this point, you more or less have two half circles of energy above you.
- With swift, encompassing and circular movements, I bring these energy halves around upon themselves. This step is to remove and holes, seams or cracks and to ensure that the energy is working as one unified force.
- Be sure to bring the energy below you as well as above.
- Finish off your movements by ensuring the energy is the shape and solidity that you want. I like to finish off my barrier making by dropping some ashes from the incense on the ground.
The movements are highly personal. You can create barriers of any shape, color, or thickness. You could also do this same series of movements multiple times to create layers of barriers if you wanted. Don’t be afraid to experiment with motions, music or other forms of energy directors (wands, water, knives, etc).